Sunday, August 22, 2010

Having a go at Mono-types

(above) First print off.

(above) This is the plate inked, wiped and ready for printing.

(above) Ghost print. I added some ink for the nostril, but I should have wiped in back a bit so it wouldn't be so dominant.

(below) Scary Baby take 1 and Scary Baby take 2 - are they horns or fingerprints?)








Hi every-one,

Well I finally got to have a play on my press today! I was really meant to be concentrating on getting some paintings done for the 12 x 12 exhibition, but what the hell! I was inspired to try and do some mono-types asdemonstrated on the video that Gaye downloaded on to this site. The results can be seen above.

I don't know if I would call them successful, as the baby I was trying to draw is cute and the resulting baby is quite scary. Strangely I do like them.

I rolled the ink on to acetate and wiped it back with a rag and cotton buds. The ink seemed to come off easier on the video. It was like wrestling! The paper I used was only cheap and grainy - but good for experimenting with. I know these aren't fantastic, but it is good to show the good and the bad and the ugly. Hopefully you can be witness to my improvement as time goes on!

I would love to see what others are up to, so try and post something.

cheers
rps

3 comments:

  1. I knew you would like that video. These look great Rob. Not all babies are pretty anyway and these certainly have character. Once you get started, there's no stopping you. Printmaking is addictive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thats one "worldly" looking baby ROB - the baby's mother might not like them, but they do "catch the eye" - I like em!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the comments. John I think that you a right- the mother's baby would not like them for sure. That's why I have to keep it's identity a secret!! I am not even saying if it is a boy or a girl!

    ReplyDelete